How to request a cosigner release
You (the borrower) must
- Submit a signed and fully completed application.
- Meet the age of majority requirements in your state of residence. This means you need to be old enough to enter into a legally binding contract, which is 18 in all states except Alabama (19), Nebraska (19), and Puerto Rico (21).
- Provide proof of graduation or completion of a certification program (such as a copy of your diploma and/or transcript) for the loan(s) from which you want your cosigner to be released.
- Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident alien at the time you submit the cosigner release request. If your citizenship status has changed since you applied for the loan, we need proof of citizenship.
- Provide proof of income (e.g., a current paystub issued within the past 90 days, a most recent W2 along with a current paystub issued within the last 90 days, a most recent tax return along with a current paystub issued within the last 90 days, or Social Security income/disability award letters).
- Be current on all Sallie Mae-serviced loans for the past 12 months immediately before applying for cosigner release.
- Demonstrate a satisfactory payment history on each loan requested for release immediately before applying. You can do this by pre-paying an amount equal to the required 12 principal and interest payments or by making the required 12 on-time principal and interest payments. Interest or fixed payments made during the in-school and separation or grace period(s) do not count toward this requirement.
- Have had no student loan(s) in a hardship forbearance or modified repayment program (including a Graduated Repayment Period) for the past 12 months immediately before the cosigner release request.
- Demonstrate the ability to assume full responsibility for repayment of the loan(s) on your own.
- Pass a credit review that demonstrates a satisfactory credit history including but not limited to no open bankruptcy, open foreclosure, student loan(s) in default, or 90-day delinquencies in the last 24 months. We’ll obtain a consumer credit report to go along with your application.
- Requirements are subject to change.